Anyway, I've been thinking non-stop about this Library Presentation thing, and I thank everyone who has taken the time to comment. Please, please, please keep the comments coming.
As far as my recommendation list goes, here's what I'm basically sure of so far:
- Blue Beetle
- Batgirl: Year One
- Fantastic Four (Imaginauts)
- Fantastic Four: Franklin Richards
- Justice League Unlimited
- Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century
- Marvel Adventures: Avengers
- Marvel Adventures: Iron Man
- Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man
- Power Pack
- Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil
- Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane
- Superman: For All Seasons
- Superman: Up, Up, and Away
- Teen Titans Go!
- Ultimate Spider-Man
- X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
- Various Essentials (Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, Wolverine, Ms. Marvel?) and Showcases (Wonder Woman, Justice League of America, Superman, Supergirl, Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, Green Lantern, Flash, Batman).
- Baby Mouse
- Mouse Guard
- Minx: The Plain Janes
- Minx: Re-Gifters
- Scott Pilgrim
- Star Wars Tales
- Azumanga Daioh
- Sailor Moon
And here's what I'm less sure on. Most of this is stuff I've either never read, or haven't read in quite some time, so I can't remember (or don't know) how accessible or appropriate it is. I'd appreciate anything and everything that you can give me as far as quick reviews, yays and nays, or counter-recommendations. I'd like to represent as much as I can of the big guns, especially the ones with recent or upcoming movies or other media presence.
- Wonder Woman: Down to Earth (Greg Rucka trade; I'm thinking next best thing to Gail Simone)
- Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin (I'd like Iron Man to be well-represented on the list, but I haven't read much. I know people were excited about this when it was announced; did it turn out to be good/appropriate?)
- Batman and the Monster Men (haven't read it yet; how is it for the budding Bat-fan?)
- Other Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, X-Men trades.
- Other trades with some sort of diversity to 'em.
- Amelia Rules (what's it like?)
- Blue Monday (Adam Ant? I think I'm gonna have to read this!)
- Leave it to Chance (is it in print still?)
- Little Vampire
- Minx (What's good? I've only read the first two titles.)
- Patrick the Wolf Boy
- Queen Bee
- Sardine in Outer Space (what's it about?)
- Gon (I remember that this was kind of a big deal a decade ago, and I notice trades are still in print. Is it as good as the Wizard hype suggested?)
- Dragonball (too violent? Too graphic?)
- Galaxy Express 999
- Bleach (how's the violence?)
- What else?
I've been reading oodles (which has given me quite a bit to blog about--look for Scott Pilgrim and Re-Gifters reviews soon) for this, and I really appreciate all the advice. You've all been fantastic, and I can't thank you enough for the help. This comic book club thing is going to rock.
Oh, one more thing: I've been asked about all-ages-friendly comic sites and blogs. Obviously the company sites will make the cut, but what else?